Canadian Armed Forces to participate in Montreal 375
Westmount, Quebec – 26 April 2017: Members of the 2nd Canadian Division and Joint Task Force (East), your Canadian Armed Forces in Quebec, are proud to announce that they will actively participate in the 375th anniversary celebrations of the City of Montréal. They are currently putting the final touch on various military activities that will be offered to the population of the Greater Montréal area from May 12 to 20, 2017, at the Old Port of Montréal.
The City of Montréal has a rich military history and traditions that are still alive today. To celebrate this legacy, the Royal Canadian Navy, the Canadian Army and the Royal Canadian Air Force, have put together a very unique program that we officially reveal for the first time:
- May 12 to 20: Her Majesty’s Canadian Ship (HMCS) MONTRÉAL will be open to visitors on selected days.
- May 13 and 14: The SkyHawks, Canada’s military parachute demonstration team, the CF-18 Hornet fighter aircraft and the 438 Tactical Helicopter Squadron as well as the Snowbirds air demonstration team will provide a breathtaking aerial show at the Old Port of Montréal, beginning at 2 p.m. We will broadcast live on Facebook.
- May 14: Montréal military units will meet at Montréal City Hall at 11 a.m. to exercise their Freedom of the city. A ceremony will take place and will be followed by a parade that will lead the military to the exhibition site in the Old Port of Montréal.
- May 14: An exhibit of military vehicles and equipment will be displayed from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. in the Old Port area.
- May 17: Starting at 11:45 a.m., military units will gather at City hall for a large military parade, which will take them to the Notre-Dame Basilica. The activity will continue to the sound of the hundred bell towers after the great mass. A ceremony will take place at the Place d’Armes with a wreath deposit and a feu de joie.