Canadian Peacekeeping Service Medal for Sgt James D’Haiti in Congo

Presentation of the Canadian Peacekeeping Service Medal to Sgt James D’Haiti by Task Force Democratic Republic of the Congo (TF DRC) Commander Col B. Maureen Wellwood. Photo credit: Major Jay Hancock

Westmount, Quebec – 27 January 2022: Congratulations to Sergeant James D’Haiti who recently earned the Canadian Peacekeeping Service Medal.  It was awarded to him on a medals parade held by Task Force Democratic Republic of the Congo (TF DRC) under the auspices of the Commander, Colonel B. Maureen Wellwood, in Goma for Roto 43 members. The Canadian Peacekeeping Service Medal and the United Nations Stabilization Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (MONUSCO) medals were presented.

The prestigious Nobel Peace Prize was awarded to all United Nations Peacekeepers in 1988 in recognition of their collective efforts in the cause of peace. This inspired the creation of the Canadian Peacekeeping Service Medal (CPSM) to acknowledge the unique contribution to peace that Canadian peacekeepers have made since 1947. Awarded for a minimum of 30 days cumulative service in a UN or international peacekeeping mission.

The medal is a circular medal, 36 mm diameter. In the centre of the obverse is three figures of unarmed observer. Above them flies a dove. The words “PEACEKEEPING” and “SERVICE DE LA PAIX” are written around the three figures separated by two maple leafs on either side. In the centre of the reverse is the Queen’s Cypher on a maple leaf, surrounded by two sprigs of laurel and the word “CANADA”.  The ribbon is 32 mm wide and consists of a central stripe of United Nations blue on each side of which are stripes of white, red and green. The blue in the official colour of the United Nations, organisation under which authority most of the peacekeeping missions are conducted, the green represents service, the white is the colour of peace, the red represents the blood shed in the service of peace. Red and white are also the official colours of Canada as appointed by King George V in 1921.

 

Comments